Mr. and Mrs. Green Couple

Maggie and Will cut cakeWe’re ba-ack!  Apologies to those of you who have been chafing at the bit for more greencouple action but you’ll be pleased to know that taking a sabbatical has left us full of energy and post ideas.  I was pretty amazed how often I had the urge to blog during the month of October, but at the same time it was a tremendous relief to not have the pressure of posting on top of all the little wedding details.

The wedding was fabulous and lovely.  Our shoemaking honeymoon was fantastic and we will regale you with multiple shoemaking posts once we edit down our collection of 1,204 photographs.  Of shoemaking.  I think even with twelve people taking pictures at the wedding we probably only ended up with a few hundred shots but for shoemaking, we were serious about documentation.  (I wanted to use the photo Michele took of us that I like to call “Will and Maggie get hulked” but I couldn’t get it to cooperate.  Thanks to Lauren for the lovely cake-cutting photo!)

During our sabbatical, we did find a little time to think about the blog and have decided we will now be posting three times a week instead of five, with the hopes of distilling our wit and charm even further to give you the highest quality green inspirations.  As you might suspect, we have a bit of a backlog of subject ideas so I hope you can handle a few slightly outdated posts about weddings, shoemaking, and how October is the awesomest month of the year.  We will also post some more about the house featuring both updates on our remodel projects (such as “The Magical Properties of Glue, Including How It Mysteriously Surfaces Through Three Coats of Paint”) as well as our latest projects (such as “Maggie’s Neverending Fascination with Peeling Wallpaper”).

So far married life is pretty darn similar to engaged life, which is just fine with me.  In the interest of not talking about tomorrow’s election (as I’m sure you have all been exposed to plenty of urgings to vote by now), I will leave you with a question.  What is the biggest challenge you face in trying to live green?

Karen said,

November 3, 2008 @ 10:39 pm

two quick notes:

glad you’re back.

the biggest challenge to me living “green” right now — aside from the anger that arises (HATE this part) at others who are ignorant about it entirely — is living in a small apartment where I can’t move the fridge away from the stove, etc. but i do my best in other, smaller ways, figuring that for now at least, they make up for the things i can’t control. and that’s okay. it has to be!

November 4, 2008 @ 1:14 pm

Congratulations! I can’t wait to look at all the pictures. (And cry because I wasn’t there in person.)

The hardest thing about living green right now is… dealing with the way our house is set up from the past occupant and figuring out how to green things as much as possible without having to tear the house completely apart or go into debt. And the lack of useful and properly working public transportation here.

November 4, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

Glad you’re back!

The hardest thing is that the world is just designed the other way. I bike to work, but have to deal with a few hundred cars on the way. I want to use less energy, but more than half of the electric and gas bill is service charges and tax.

greeen sheeep said,

November 10, 2008 @ 11:18 pm

Hey, congratulations on becoming Mr. & Mrs! I am glad to see that you are back, because I just tagged your blog. Check out my Monday post to see what it is all about.

My biggest trying to live green challenge is holding myself back from forcing my beliefs down other people’s throats. Not everyone in my family is as willing to live with toilet paper as I am and the lady checking out in the grocery store doesn’t want to hear me rant about all the pesticides she is consuming and sea life she is killing by carting out her groceries in plastic bags.

Jessica said,

November 13, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

Yay! I’m glad you guys are back too! Not that I have time to read blogs as often as I did at my old job.
    Congrats on the wedding. It looks beautiful. And that cake looks yummy. Mmmm… cake.
    My biggest obsticles to living as green as I’d like to are time and money. As a single mom, I am desperately short on both. I know there are many easy, quick ways to live green, but most of them are expensive. I know there are many cheap ways to live green, but most of them are pretty costly in time. The next biggest obsticle I face is plain old disorganization and forgetfulness. Like I’ll forget to bring my reusable shopping bags back out to my car, so the next time I go to the store I dont have them. Then when I get home, I can’t find them, because I put them somewhere out of the way and can’t remember where. That sort of thing. Those are probably my biggest challenges. I’m working around them as best as I can though.

Shoemaking 101: It's All About (In)Sole | GreenCouple.com said,

February 27, 2009 @ 11:24 pm

[…] of you may recall that we enjoyed a rather unusual honeymoon in the mountains of Virginia.  We learned how to make handcrafted shoes from a lovely shoemaker […]